Windybrow was built by one of the early South African mining engineers, Theodore Reunert in 1896 as a family home. It has since served many purposes including being a nurses home.
The Windybrow was declared a national monument in 1996. Its history as an arts centre spans almost 20 years, at first as a traditional theatre complex, reflective of the programming policies and cultural aesthetics of the period. In 1993 the Windybrow took bold steps to transform itself into a cultural centre consistent with the ethos of the new democratic order. (Source: Windybrow 2003/4 Annual Report)
On 1 April 2005 the Windybrow was declared a Cultural Institution by the Department of Arts and Culture. The year before and after declaration was a very difficult period for the Windybrow and the institution struggled under trying conditions.
On 1 November 2005, the Windybrow began a process to improve every aspect of the organization and to develop a sustainable strategy. This process was a success and culminated in the re-launch of the Windybrow on 4 May 2006