How to claim a VAT refund

Left Arrow Right Arrow

A tax of 14% is levied on all consumer goods except somebasic foodstuffs. Non-resident foreign passport holders can claim a VAT refund(on purchases over R250) at the tax refunds office at O R Tambo InternationalAirport. To make a claim you will need a tax invoice for the goods in question(ask the shop assistant to prepare one for you when buying your goods). Presentthe goods and the tax invoices to the customs officials in the departures hallwho will stamp the papers. After passing through security and passport controlproceed to the VAT Refund Office and present your stamped papers. The refundwill be loaded onto a card which you can use to withdraw money from an ATM ormake purchases. For more information see