Coupling commercial and leisure travel attractions, business travel generates dual interest in tourism to the city of Joburg, where business trips and visits intended for conferences, meetings and event-based purposes are extended to leisure stayovers. As a leading driver of growth, development and global economic recovery following a few tough financial years world-wide, the Joburg Tourism industry presents many opportunities to strengthen the South African economy. With endless potential for growth not only limited to leisure travel; the business tourism industry also creates an opportunity to bolster the South African and more specifically the Joburg tourism industry.
Catering to twofold travel pursuits, the city of Johannesburg checks a variety of boxes on both local and international visitor’s wanderlust lists. With an abundance of accommodation types, cultural interests, heritage steeped in South Africa history and lifestyle allures to Jozi’s Afrocentric perspectives, Joburg has also been recognised with various accolades attributing to its first-rate tourism industry, where those appealing to the travel industry include (but are not limited to):
- Johannesburg’s Maboneng Precinct was recently names as one of the Worlds Coolest Suburbs by Forbes Magazine 
- Based on millions of reviews and opinions from travellers around the world Johannesburg has made TripAdvisor’s top ten list in the Travellers’ Choice Awards for Best Destinations in Africa 
- The Bannister Hotel in downtown Jozi’s Braamfontien was voted as the 2018 Best Value Hotel by Afristay
- Johannesburg’s Sandton Convention Centre has recently been named as the Best Large Conference Venue in the 2018 Business Traveller Awards Africa as well as "Best Conference Venue Centre in Gauteng” in the Star Readers’ Choice 2018. [Source: sandtontourism.com]
- The Palazzo Hotel at Montecasino won a Luxury Casino Hotel award in the Africa category. [Source: sandtontourism.com]
- The InterContinental Johannesburg O.R. Tambo won the Luxury Airport Hotel award in the Africa category. [Source: sandtontourism.com]
- The Southern Sun Hyde Park was voted 2018’s Best Sundowner Spot in the annual Best of Joburg Readers’ Choice Awards 2018 [Source: sandtontourism.com]
Primed to receive a diverse selection of travellers from within the country and abroad, Africa’s economic powerhouse, the most powerful commercial centre on the continent, Johannesburg is known as the financial capital of South Africa, home to 74% of Corporate Headquarters.
As one of South Africa’s leading meetings, events and conference destinations, the city of Johannesburg gears up to welcome an assortment of commercial and corporate professionals as the month of February sees the Joburg conference and meetings circuit dial up in the 1st quarter of the year.
Hosted at various star graded meetings and conference venues throughout the city, events to look out for set to take place in the City of Gold include (but are not limited to):
- The 6th Annual Women in Energy Conference (WiE) - 18 February @ the Sandton Convention Centre
- Artisanal Small Scale Mining Conference (ASSMC) - 18 February @ WorleyParsons in Melrose
- Brand Equity & Customer Loyalty Conference - 20 to 21 February @ the Indaba Hotel, Spa and Conference Centre
- CISO Africa - 20 to 21 February @ The Maslow Hotel, Sandton
- IPP & PPA Conference including the Power Purchase Agreement - 21 February @ The Sandton Convention centre
- Customer Engagement Technology Conference (CET) - 26 February @ The Venue Melrose Arch
- Digital Marketing Conference (DMC) - 26 to 27 February @ The Maslow Hotel
- Organisational Design and Development - 26 to 28 February @ Radisson Blu Gautrain Hotel
- Blockchain Africa Conference - 28 February to 1 March @ The Wanderers Club
The City of Joburg is poised to welcome business and leisure travellers, encouraging crossover visits where business meets leisure and leisure visits encourage future business stopovers! #welcome2jozi