In anticipation of the coming New Year Celebrations and the pressure to find a fitting way to welcome in 2019 with a celebration to match the tone, Joburg Tourism gets creative with a few New Year’s Eve Party Ideas to ring in 2019. A time for celebration, reflection and introspection of the Year past, New Year’s Eve comes with mixed emotions as we bid farewell to times gone by and open the doors to new adventures, opportunities and the unknown of what 2019 holds. In prelude to this auspicious date on the last page of the calendar, planning a New Year’s Eve celebration comes with a wee bit of weight when trying to find a fun, safe and enjoyable evening for everyone in your party, to follow find out some of the best ways to welcome in the New Year when visiting Joburg.
Keeping it Local and Lekker
Whether planning a themed pool party, spit braai or keeping it simple with a tjop en dop around the Weber, some of the best ways to welcome in the New Year is in the comfort of your own home. Safe from traffic, road blocks and the responsibilities of being the designated driver for the evening, throwing a home based New Year’s Bash means everyone is safe, comfortable and in reliably good company.
With so many cool and creative ways to theme your party outside of the typical tropical pool party soiree, think ten decades of dance where guests must dress in apparel from their favourite decade with music to match each era. For an older crew or families with kids old enough to participate, a games night offers a tamer but still fun way to have a laugh and enjoy everyone’s company both young and old, before moving on from home-grown party plans, another New Year’s Party plan to welcome in the first of the first is with a black-tie dressy affair. Everyone loves to get dressed up in their poshy-best and what better way to welcome in new prosperity and 2019 success than with a sophisticated New Year’s bash!
Fine Dining and a Hotel Stay Over
Another smart and classy way to celebrate the New Year, suited to couples looking for some solitude or groups that prefer finer festivities, is booking a coursed meal at your favourite hotel restaurant. With an abundance of star graded hotels located all throughout the City of Joburg many of these fine establishments are offering an individualised New Year’s meal, some paired with wines and others offering dancing and various entertainment.
What’s really smart about this option is that if you’re planning on drinking over the legal limit, you can book a suite and plan a stayover for the night and enjoy a scrumptious breakfast in the morning without having to lift a finger.
Some of our favourite New Year’s fine dining restaurants we’d like to be seated at include:
- The Maslow Hotel New Year’s Eve Dinner at R795 per perso.
- Piccolo Mondo at the Michelangelo will be serving their 3-course dinner for just R595 per person with the option to select one of four different options to make up your 3 courses.
- Radisson Blu Sandton will be plating up a 5-course New Year’s Eve Dinner experience at R725 per person.
- Flames and the View restaurants at the Four Seasons Hotel The Westcliff will each be offering their own unique New Year’s Eve dining experiences accompanied by a party ‘on the hill’ to celebrate the New Year in style.
Popping bottles with a Hearty Party!
With planned party celebrations scattered across the city, party seekers are spoilt for choice with a variety of New Year’s party events taking place at some of our favourite locations. So don your best dancing shoes and get ready to party the night away welcoming the New Year with live entertainment, DJ’s, champagne and lavish celebrations until the sun comes up! Events you don’t want to miss include:
- New Year’s Eve on the Piazza at Montecasinio with music, live entertainment and their resident DJ hammering the ones and two's. Book with participating restaurants and collect your armband entrance prior to the 31st for exclusive access to the Piazza.
- Truth in Midrand is set to host New Year 2018 with a sterling line-up of musical talent including 2Lani the Warrior, Brad S, Elemental, Houshold Funk and Ricardo Da Costa to name but a few. Doors open at 9pm with entrance before 10pm at R100 and thereafter R150.
- AfroPunk Fest Joburg festivities start on the 30th of December and run all the way through to the New Year. Serving up both home-grown and international talent across a variety of music genres, head to one of the best locations in Jozi hosted at Constitution Hill.