Bag Factory Artists’ Studios has ONE Tier 3 studio available for rent.
The Bag Factory is a professional studio space, located on the border of the vibrant suburbs of Fordsburg and Newtown. We have been operating for more than 27 years and have a stable community of artists from a wide variety of backgrounds. The studio space and its community strives for an open, non-hierarchical creative environment that promotes exchange and experimentation. We are looking for one mid-career / established artist to take up a studio on a permanent basis.
Occupation Date: 4 February 2019
For Artists Based in South Africa
Application Deadline: Sunday 27 January 2019, 22:00
The successful applicant will be contacted by 31 January 2019.
The artist will be required to sign a License to Occupy Agreement and pay the first month’s rental and a deposit equal to one month’s rental by 4 February 2019.
Minimum occupation period: One year
Maximum occupation period: Three years
About the Studio:
One studio measuring approx. 21m² at R 3 025 per calendar month* (including service charge and VAT).
*Rental is still set at 2018 rates and will increase mid-2019 in line with annual inflationary increases.
Studios are strictly non-residential and are accessible 7 days a week.
There is Wi-Fi access and studio artists will have access to all communal facilities in the building including a shared kitchen.
Eligibility and Selection:
– Applications are open to mid-career / established artists based in South Africa
The artist must be:
– A full time practicing visual artist who will regularly use their studio
– Willing to be involved in the Bag Factory’s projects and events
– Available to attend all artists’ meetings, can interact in a communal setting
Applications will be reviewed by the Bag Factory’s Programme Selection Committee which is made up of the Bag Factory’s Director and Programme Manager, a studio artist representative, Board representative, and external artists, curators, and arts professionals.
We accept digital applications only.
Your application should include the following in ONE PDF file only:
1. An artist’s statement describing your practice and areas of interest (up to 250 words)
2. A minimum of 20 images of recent work, with captions and a short description if necessary
3. A CV/Resume
4. Any relevant documentation (e.g. articles or papers about work, exhibitions, publications, etc)
5. A cover sheet with name, contact address, e-mail and telephone numbers if available, plus confirmation that you will be available to take occupation of the studio from 4 February 2019, if selected.
Please note that there is a 10MB limit on PDF submissions. If your file is not in PDF format or is over 10MB your application will not be reviewed.
TO APPLY, EMAIL: firstname.lastname@example.org
Incomplete and late applications will NOT be reviewed.